I love this hat for a casual look. While any worsted weight yarn will work with this pattern, I think it looks best with a yarn that has nice drape and sheen, such as Lion Brand Heartland or Caron Simply Soft. These give such a nice slouch look and are so comfortable to wear. The ribbed brim helps keep it in place and adds some nice texture. If you want extra slouch or additional room for more hair, you can simply add more rows to the body. I will tell you when. 😉
- Worsted weight yarn such as Lion Brand Heartland or Caron Simply Soft
- Size J/6.00 mm crochet hook or hook needed to achieve gauge
- The start of the hat uses the magic circle technique, chain (ch), single crochet (sc), and a closing slip stitch (slst).
- The main part of the beanie is worked in double crochet (dc) and double crochet increase (dc inc). The brim is made with alternating front post double crochet (fpdc) and back post double crochet (bpdc).
- Gauge is 6 st X 4 rows of dc is 2″ square
- Hat is worked from the top down.
- Each dc round is started with a ch 2 and finished with a slst into the first dc. I have found this combination creates an almost invisible seam. It’s not conventional, but I encourage you to try it out over the standard ch 3.
- Laid flat, hat measures 11″ from top to bottom and 8″ across.
- Create a magic circle. Ch 1, sc 11 into circle. Slst into first sc. (ch 1, 11 sc)
- Ch 2, dc into closing slst, work a dc inc into each sc around, slst into first dc. (ch 2, 23 dc)
- Ch 2, dc into closing slst, dc, *dc inc, dc* repeat from * to * around, slst into first dc (ch 2, 35 dc)
- Ch 2, dc into closing slst, dc 2, *dc inc, dc 2* repeat from * to * around, slst into first dc (ch 2, 47 dc)
- Ch 2, dc into closing slst, dc 3, *dc inc, dc 3* repeat from * to * around, slst into first dc (ch 2, 59 dc)
- For next 14 rounds, ch 2, dc 59, slst to first dc (ch 2, 59 dc)
- NOTE: This is where you can add rows to increase the length of the hat for more slouch or to accommodate more hair.
- For next 5 rounds, ch 2, *fpdc, bpdc* repeat from * to * around, slst into first fpdc (ch 2, 59 fp/bpdc)
- For last round, finish hat with an invisible join into the top of the first fpdc.